Return to Life: Swan Dive
– It’s a core strengthening exercise, but for your back and butt!
This exercise will improve your posture, counteracting the slumped posture we all get slumped over desks, bikes and steering wheels…
What’s it good for?
- Counteracting the negative effects of sitting and standing in a hunched position. Improves posture.
- Strengthens the upper and lower back, butt and inner and backs of your legs.
Difficulty: not for beginners
The “how to”
- Lying face down, reach out your arms in a V shape and have your hands at shoulder level, with your legs together, inner thighs squeezed together and feet pointed away from you.
- Pushing the floor away from you, slide your shoulders away from your ears to bring your heart upwards and forwards off the mat. Keep your head aligned with your spine.
- Exhale to rock forwards
- Inhale to rock backwards
Hints and Tips
💡 Practice mini swan and other spinal strengthening exercises first.
💡 Rotate your arms to assist your rocking if you have difficulty.
💡 Keep your legs squeezed together and butt tight.
💡 Keep your stomach pulled in and active to stop the back bend going into your lower back.
☀️ … If you have damage or pain in your back, skip this exercise.